Log in

No account? Create an account
HH Pout
Posted on Saturday 12 October 2013 at 9:00 am

Toe Update

When I broke my toe on Monday, the doctors at the student health center numbed it, pulled at it to straighten it some, took some x-rays, tapped the broken little toe to the next toe in, and took some more x-rays. I had a followup on Wednesday with the sport injury specialist who has an off-campus practice and only comes to campus on Wednesdays. On Wednesday, I was at the student health center for over an hour and the doctor looked at my toe some but kept coming and going from the examine room and was clearly getting increasingly frustrated. He finally told me that the student health center couldn't find my x-rays. They were in a computer system and no one could access it or something. He said he couldn't really do anything without actually being bale to see what had happened to the bone so he set me up with an appointment at his off-campus office for Friday and said either student health would have found the x-rays by then or he would take some himself. They couldn't do more x-rays at student health on Wednesday because they don't have a permanent machine, there is just a company with a portable unit that comes in for a few hours a couple of times a week and I'd just been lucky on Monday to have arrived when the x-ray tech was there whereas at the doctor's off-campus office he has permanent x-ray equipment.

Thursday student health called and said they had the x-rays and made a digital copy to a CD that I should pick up and take with me to the Friday appointment. I said I wasn't on campus on Thursday so I'd pick them up Friday morning. Friday morning I got to student health and the woman at the front desk said she'd seen the disk earlier and she went to grab it for me, but came back and said it wasn't there anymore. It took them another 15 minutes to find where someone had put the disk. I finally got to my doctor appointment with the CD with the x-rays. The doctor didn't like the x-rays, something about them not indicating which ones were before the toe had been taped and which after and not being able to tell how much it had been straightened or not. So more x-rays. He decided he didn't like the way it was setting but since it was Friday rather than Wednesday it had almost healed too much for him to be able to straighten it without rebreaking it. He tried numbing it and straightening it as much as he could without literally rebreaking it, basically just going right to the edge of rebreaking it. I don't know if he used different numbing stuff than they'd used Monday, just pulled harder, let me sit too long and the numbing stuff started to wear off or what but it hurt like hell when he pulled on it when it hadn't hurt at all Monday. He took more x-rays after pulling it and said it was a bit straighter and was the best he could do without rebreaking it. All last night after the numbing stuff completely wore off I was in major pain. I think it hurt worse than it did the first night, but maybe that is just me being whiny because it was getting better and I wasn't expecting this much of a set back. Today it still hurts worse than it was Thursday and Friday before my appointment. I had been limping around the house on that foot and now I'm mostly back on the crutches because I can't stand any weight on the foot at all. I have another followup with him on Wednesday on campus and he said something about maybe doing more x-rays then but I'm confused by that since I thought x-rays weren't possible at student health on Wednesdays. Whatever. I don't care if it is straight or not, I'm not doing this whole thing again.
Feeling: sore


shayrena at 2:38 pm on 12 October 2013 (UTC) (Link)
Oh god :(
That sucks.
I can imagine how frustrated you must be, I really hope the pain goes away soon.
bratty_jedi at 5:15 pm on 12 October 2013 (UTC) (Link)
Frustrated is a very good word for it.

The pain is a bit less this afternoon, but still not as good as it was Thursday. I'll get there.
donutsweeper at 2:59 pm on 12 October 2013 (UTC) (Link)
Oh wow, that sounds awful. I hope things go well for your followup on Wednesday!!
bratty_jedi at 5:14 pm on 12 October 2013 (UTC) (Link)
Thanks. I'm sure I'll live but it is definitely making me grouchy.
space_oddity_75 at 7:39 pm on 12 October 2013 (UTC) (Link)
Ouch. I'm so sorry you've had to endure all this. Get well soon! *hugs*
failte_aoife at 11:19 am on 13 October 2013 (UTC) (Link)
Ouch that sounds really painful :( I hope it will be better, soon.

   Leave a New Comment
Previous Entry  Next Entry