Log in

No account? Create an account
Reading outside
Posted on Monday 15 September 2008 at 3:03 pm

Ike Update 2

I just got off the phone with my mom. Details are sketchy, but it is starting to look like Ike did some serious damage to the house. My parents are still at my grandparents' and no word on when they'll head back. The water apparently got to within about a foot of the house before it started going down but it has finally receded. With the water going down, my sister went over to check the house. She didn't like how some things looked but wasn't sure what she was seeing so she asked our neighbor to come look at it. He's supposed to be calling my dad soon to give him more details but the brief version coming through my sister is that our fence is completely gone on all sides (which makes it basically impossible for my parents to return home with the dogs) and there appears to be serious structural damage to the back foundation of the house.

We're supposed to leave for a family vacation at Disney World on Friday. Mom said if the neighbor confirms Katrina's information about the foundation being damaged, she and Dad will probably not go, so then we have to see if we can get everything postponed or if Katrina, Kasey, Kyle and I will go now and Mom and Dad try to go on their own later.

EDIT: Talked to Mom again. There are three pillars that support the back part of our house because it is on a hill. Apparently the middle of the three pillars has been knocked out and isn't providing any support. This should be something that can wait a little and the house isn't going to collapse or something in the next week, not to mention it will take awhile for FEMA and the like to get around to everyone and for contractors to get all the repair work done because a lot of people have a lot of damage that needs fixing. So the plan is for my parents to see if they can get their airline tickets switched to an airport near my grandparents'. We'll still go to Disney World, the dogs will stay with my grandparents until my parents get back and then my folks will just block off the doggie doors so the dogs can't get outside and will take them for walks and the like until a new fence can be built. Then we just hope the flood insurance will pay for the repairs to the house and the yard. And the pool. I think the pool got pretty damaged as well.
Feeling: Tired
Exploring: William and Mary Library
Listening: Phil Collins - You'll Be in My Heart (Single)


What's Taters, Precious?
mrstater at 9:02 pm on 15 September 2008 (UTC) (Link)
Aw, I'm sorry about the damage! Fingers crossed insurance will come through and everything will come together quickly so you can enjoy Disney!
labellerose at 11:07 pm on 15 September 2008 (UTC) (Link)
Whew! Glad that the house is going to stay standing and that you'll still get to go to Disney World.
Best wishes and white light for structural integrity and quick repairs. ;)
bratty_jedi at 6:00 pm on 19 September 2008 (UTC) (Link)
Thanks. Hopefully it'll all work out. See ya in a week :)
Wild Magelet
wildmagelet at 9:55 am on 16 September 2008 (UTC) (Link)
I'm so sorry to hear that! It's completely frightening to me how vulnerable we are to nature sometimes. I hope you're at least able to all have a great time at Disney World.
bratty_jedi at 6:01 pm on 19 September 2008 (UTC) (Link)
Nature really can be quite scary. Then again, man-made stuff doesn't want to cooperate much better some days. My parents' van wouldn't start this morning so they had to get my uncle to take them to the airport and have added the van to the list of stuff to worry about after Disney.

Good luck with the puppy and I'll see you in a week :)

   Leave a New Comment
Previous Entry  Next Entry